Sunday, February 10, 2008

Vote Obama

I don't want you to think I am a crazy political rally fanatic. Hell, I'm not even American! But just hear me out.

The presidential election campaign is firing up. I had the pleasure of shaking Mr. Obama's hand yesterday at his rally in Boston's Park Plaza Castle. But beyond that, I have never felt more moved by any candidate (American or Canadian) in my entire lifetime. Until recently, my take on textbook politics was a pessimistic one. I have never cared very much about it because, let's face it: there's nothing to care about these days. Everything that I am passionate about, every problem we face, is not being countered. We won't ratify Kyoto, we don't do anything about Darfur. Children are sick and hungry at home and abroad. School is too expensive and so young minds are deprived of intellectual satiation.

It makes me sick, and it saddens me. And yes, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney have made it very difficult for every single candidate in the running. The platter of problems that the next president will carry is excruciating in its weight. The country is in debt trillions of dollars, growing by billions BY THE DAY. And it is tomorrow's youth that will be responsible for paying it off.

Oh yes, and though I am not American, I feel strongly about this man. As a Canadian, what happens in America will directly affect me. So yes, I care. Bedfellows of the U.S., we have to care. And though I can not vote, I am doing my best to get Americans to cast their vote for me and for their selves.

Everyone's number one argument against Obama is his lack of experience or his middle name, Hussein. Well as he says, anyone who focuses on a name knows nothing about politics. And experience? Senator Obama, an undergraduate of Columbia University and a graduate of Harvard University, may have only served 2 terms as senator, but his votes agains Iraq and Iran have been consistent (unlike Hillary Clinton who changes her mind on votes at the last minute). And needless to say, "experience" has certainly not given a hand up to any president in the past 20 or more years. "Experience" seems to jade the system of politics, of leadership, of changing the way we see things. Obama has more "experience" than Lincoln, the "great unifier" had. We haven't seen a JFK, a Roosevelt, a Jefferson, a Lincoln, or a Trudeau in ages. Isn't it time to see a real change?

If you listen to this man, and see the passion in his eyes, his voice, his words, his motions, I think you will understand what I mean.

He sets precise dates for when he expects goals to be accomplished. For example, 16 months into his term- the US will be out of Iraq.

He speaks for women, the environment, cultural tolerance, all genders, human rights, peace, security, and a REAL and TANGIBLE approach to accomplishing change. BARACK OBAMA IS THE MAN FOR THE JOB.

Obama speech (this one from Jefferson Jackson dinner):
http://www.barackobama.com/2007/11/10/remarks_of_senator_barack_obam_33.php

Oprah endorses Obama:
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/05/03/oprah-endorses-obama-2/

Obama campaign website:
http://www.barackobama.com/index.php

Obama speaks out for women:
http://www.barackobama.com/2007/12/02/feminist_pitch_by_a_democrat_n.php

Women for Obama:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=10598AB3DAF007E2

Hillary's negative campaign:
http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post_group/ObamaHQ/CRhV

No comments: